There are 2 ways to ensure Amarillo Area water is pathogen free:
- Buy bottled water.
- Treat your water at your home or business by boiling your water or one of the methods described below.
Four ways to eliminate viruses, bacteria, and pathogens from your water:
- Chlorination – This is what most municipalities use because it’s cheap and the disinfectant remains in the water from the treatment plant through miles and miles of plumbing and into your home. So if there’s a water main break along the way, the chlorine remaining in the water still keeps your water safe from living organisms.
- Ultraviolet (UV) Light Filters – UV lights are a water treatment option that allows water to flow through and kill all organisms that pass by the light. If you’ve ever had sunburn you have a basic idea of how light can kill living cells. This method is very effective and is used in bottled water plants, in Bottle-Free Coolers, and can even be installed in your home.
- Ozonation – This method injects ozone into water to kill living organisms. It’s often used in bottled water facilities however it’s more costly than the first 2 options.
- Distillation – This process boils water and then collects the steam. The boiling kills pathogens however this process is not generally feasible for homes or businesses and is primarily used by bottled water companies.
Can I be confident bottled water is safe?There’s a lot of misinformation on the internet about bottled water. Bottled water is regulated by the FDA as well as by the IBWA (International Bottled Water Association) and the IBWA standards are rigorous.
Do water filters remove viruses, bacteria, and other organisms?Some filters, like our Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Systems, can remove viruses, bacteria and other organisms from your water but ONLY as a LAST RESORT. These filtration systems are not designed for long-term treatment of living organisms in water so the filtration system can get “plugged up” in a process called bio-fouling. Your best option to ensure your home’s water will always be free from infectious diseases, is a whole house UV water treatment system. If your well water is contaminated, or for your city water you just prefer the peace-of-mind knowing that even if your municipality undergoes a boil water alert or your water is contaminated from a water main break that your water is safe, we recommend a UV whole home water treatment. At Culligan, we can test your water for bacteria as well as recommend the proper sized UV system for your home, plumbing, and water usage. One of the main factors in ensuring you eliminate living organisms in water is properly sizing the system so that the water has enough contact time with the disinfecting method (chlorine, ozone, or UV), so take advantage of our free water test in Amarillo Area to ensure you’re getting what’s best for your family.
What about my business and office?In an office environment you can use bottled water coolers or bottle-free coolers for your drinking water. Our bottle-free coolers include built-in UV lights so you can be sure the water is sterile and clean. For commercial, industrial, and municipal applications we have many options using one or more of the methods described above so you’ll need to contact one of our water treatment experts to explain your needs before we can make a recommendation.
Should I be concerned about Coronavirus (COVID-19) in my water?According to the CDC:
The COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water. Conventional water treatment methods that use filtration and disinfection, such as those in most municipal drinking water systems, should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19.
How much bottled water should I have stored for an emergency?FEMA recommends:
Store at least one gallon of water per person per day for three days, for drinking and sanitation. A normally active person needs about three quarters of a gallon of fluid daily, from water and other beverages. However, individual needs vary, depending on age, health, physical condition, activity, diet and climate. Take the following into account:Keep in mind that you can make your own bottled water at home and so never have to worry about running out with a Culligan Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water System.
- Children, nursing mothers and sick people may need more water.
- A medical emergency might require additional water.
- If you live in a warm weather climate more water may be necessary. In very hot temperatures, water needs can double.